Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Seiko Orange Monster is The Perfect Watch

I have been walking around, composing entries for this blog in my head, for months.  The one thing that has kept me from posting is that I need to take the time to set up a photo shoot of various watches' luminosity over time e.g. the course of one evening.  Life is busy, so I keep putting it off.  A lot of weird things have happened in the past 6 months.  I got laid off, but have been able to keep chugging along by working shifts at a local hospital. It's a tenuous existance--one in which you don't know whether or not you will be able to pay next month's mortgage--so worrrying about watches--be they $3,000 luxury watches or $100 eBay purchases--has no place.

The company that laid me off paid for me to go to these sessions with a company that helps you find job openings, write a winning resume, etc; all skills that I already had.  My first day there, I walked into the classroom, and this guy 10 years older than me in a dark Brooks Brothers suit was sitting in the corner, peering at the world over his half-glasses, a stainless steel GMT Master with the red & blue bezel on his left wrist.  I assumed that he was the guy teaching the "how to get a job" class.

Turned out he was one of the students, like me.  Coca Cola laid him off after he worked there for 20 years.  They eliminated his position (Gee, that's what happened to me!).

So, of course, I beat up on myself for getting pissed the last time my GMT died, instead of fixing it.

But, here's the thing: I have this crazy Seiko Orange Monster, and it's better than a Rolex:
(Try to ignore the mosquito bite)
Note that Saturday is in blue lettering.  Sunday is in red. Monday to Friday are in black.  Clever!

1) It's a mechanical watch (like Rolex and countless other watch brands)
2) It has a screw-down crown (like Rolex and countless other brands)
3) Its luminosity (because of the orange dial and copious amounts of phosphorescent paint) outshines anything Rolex or anybody else sells

What about Doxa, "The Inventors of Orange"?

Yes, Doxa is the original.  Esthetically, their watches are unique and beautiful.  Their hacking Swiss ETA movements are more accurate than Seiko movements (this is the one and only argument against the Orange Monster)

But, here's the thing:  If you go online, and cruise the various watch enthusiast forums, you keep discovering something really weird: all these guys out there who own Rolex, Omega, and/or Panerai (there are a bunch of guys out there who perversely own multiple Swiss luxury watches, while I currently can't afford to buy even one), you will discover something really bizarre: THEY ALL OWN A SEIKO ORANGE MONSTER.

WHAT THE HELL???

So, what this really comes down to is a big case of Swiss snobbery.  I can say that: I'm part Swiss.  My great-great grandfather was a priest who fled Hapsburg-era Hungary, grew tired of celibacy, and married a woman during his Swiss exile.

WHY THE SEIKO ORANGE MONSTER IS THE BEST:

1) It tells you what day of the week it is

That's it. Period. The other factors that I listed in paragraph 6 are common to other dive watches, GMT watches, or in the case of Omega (and why doesn't Rolex do this?) their GMT Dive Watch model # 2535.80 (that's the serial number, not its price).

None of the major Swiss brands have the day of the week on their dive watches.  Citizen--another Japanese company--also put the day of the week on their dive watches.

Why not the Swiss? 

There is no excuse, whatsoever, for not having the day and date on a "tool watch".

I have been lusting after the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean large sized, with an orange bezel.  Once my employment situation solidifies, and my family life gets back to normal, I may make a long-term project out of saving up the money to buy a Planet Ocean, but something is nagging me:

Let's pretend I buy a lotto ticket, today, and win millions of dollars.  All my bills, mortgage, etc are paid off, and I can travel.  Obviously, I can afford whatever watch I want. 

But...why buy that Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, when it only has the date, but not the day of the week?

4 comments:

  1. Nice information! The Seiko Orange Monster watch is a remarkably in your face watch. It has a very bright orange display which a lot of people are very fond of. It's one of those watches that is just going to last. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, You have posted very informative articles and good images for this articles. I like your blog.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The Seiko Orange Monster is the perfect Watch for men.

    Bausele Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Black Monster is 13 yrs old. Runs as good as the day I bought it. Never had it serviced and have quite literally beat on this watch. It ain't pretty any more but it still gets comments. Kinda like my fat exwife.

    ReplyDelete